Friday, June 8, 2012

Quick Tips on Dying Your Hair at Home ... Successfully!

Dying your hair at home can be a daunting task if you've never done it before, but if you're not looking to dramatically change the color (like blonde to black or vice versa) and are trying to find ways to cut costs, it can be a big help! I know personally since I have long hair (when straightened, it falls a little below half way down my back), I got really tired of the "long hair charges" for dye, hair cuts, just about everything! The signs in salons will say cut & color $75 and some how, before tip, I end up spending $125. Like, I'm sorry, but you have to be shitting me! (Pardon my language, but I mean really!) My hair isn't freakishly long! Anyway, sorry for the mini rant. Here's a few tips on dying your hair at home:

First and foremost, buy extra. One box will RARELY cut it unless you have a pixie hair cut. I can easily use 2-3 boxes and generally need all 3. My hair is long & thick though, but still err on the side of caution there! I LOVE LOVE LOVE (like I wrote about before) Revlon Colorstay Hair Color. I went a little darker this time (#40) so it wouldn't fade as fast and I love it! Anyway, back to the tips:

1. Lay a plastic shower curtain from the dollar store down on and around the surface your coloring on. No matter how careful you are, little bits splash and your carpet or whatever else will now match your hair color this month!

2. Wear a towel you don't care to much about around your neck and keep it there by closing a clip in the front to secure it. (I'd recommend underneath the towel that you only wear a bra. Good luck trying to take a shirt off over your head with dye in your hair for your shower rinse!)

3. Section the pieces of your hair in advance. Use hairdresser clips and go by color (green comes down first, then purple, then peach, then pink, etc.) to avoid trying to separate your hair with gloved hands covered in dye.  Make sure they aren't clips you love though or keep an extra set on hand for hair dying since they will certainly get colored too!

4. Take Vaseline (petroleum jelly from the dollar store is fine) and rub some all around your hairline, around your side burns, and all around your ears. Hair dye doesn't stick to it and it'll still color all the hair around it without dying all your skin! Be sure to fully wash your face when you rinse your hair because all that petroleum jelly on your face will cause breakouts if left on!

5. If for some reason hair dye does end up on your skin, clean up quickly. As soon as all the hair dye is in and your waiting the required time, take the corner of a towel or a wash cloth and wet it with hot water and shampoo and scrub the dyed area. If you do this quick enough, it will generally completely remove, or at least greatly diminish how dark your skin is left dyed.

6. Once your hair is completely dyed, I always use a disposable shower cap (generally sold in big packs at the dollar store) over my hair. It keeps the hair from falling down and dying my neck or the towel any worse and the dye from rubbing off the hair. It also makes it easier to sit comfortably while you wait instead of begin afraid your hair is going to fall onto the couch!

If you have any questions, just ask away! Don't be afraid to dye at home. Just choose a color no more than 2-3 shades darker or lighter and remember, it is just color! It can always be fixed!


Happy dyeing, loves!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment