Saturday, September 1, 2012

"5 Makeup Myths Busted" by Good Housekeeping ... Not Quite!

Today just got away from me! It's already almost 10pm and I was planning on doing today's post this afternoon so my apologies for the delay! It was for good reason though because my husband got a new job today! So excited and so proud of him! Anyway, today I wanted to discuss something that I find extremely irritating, not to me, but for all of you. I worked in cosmetics and have many years of practice, training, and experience combined in makeup and skin care. That is why I am extremely irritated by articles I read and things I hear about makeup and skin care that just ARE NOT RIGHT! For example, I was perusing all my magazines gathering together my Fall 2012 Trend Alerts and my September Beauty Week ideas when I came across a copy of Good Housekeeping I got from a family member. In it were some interesting tips on budgets and some yummy sounding recipes - things a HOUSEKEEPING magazine would encompass. And in the following statement I mean no disrespect, but, STICK TO WHAT YOU KNOW!

Flipping through the magazine I cam across a section of award winning, anti-aging products in the Good Housekeeping Anti-Aging 2012 Award Winners. At the end of this article was a little bubble of tidbits entitled "5 Makeup Myths Busted". Immediately I knew my blood pressure would be raised. Lo and behold, 4 out of 5 were stereotypical "myths" that were just WRONG!

And I will now list them below as stated by Good Housekeeping. I will then explain why they need to stick to HOUSEKEEPING!

1. You do not have to use a primer.
Okay, ladies, sure you don't have to do anything, but what is it? Pay your taxes and die. However, if you'd like your makeup to stay put through at least your lunch hour, look how it was intended to look, and reduce waste of product, just wear the goddamn primer! How long does it take to smooth an extra layer over your skin? I mean really. Primer creates a barrier so your skin doesn't drink your makeup causing clogged pores and messy makeup. It allows your makeup to glide on effortlessly; therefore, saving time and product. It makes colors look true and your face look flawless. And it keeps all your makeup put. Sure, you could skip the primer, but might as well just forgo the makeup all together since in a few hours without primer it'll look like you did anyway.

2. A foundation brush is not a necessity.
This one really gets me. No any makeup brush is not a necessity. You have fingers and sponge applicators so obviously there is options. However, your fingers are skin, skin has natural oils. Oil breaks down the composition of makeup. Oil on your face causes breakouts. Fingers obviously can work, but they equal some major downsides.

Sponges. What is a sponge's main ability? Absorption. You use a sponge to apply foundation. As you apply it to your face, the sponge is absorbing makeup. Therefore, you are left with an uneven distribution on your skin. Beyond the obvious downfalls to your look, you are also wasting makeup. Sponges hold the makeup and are often stored in cosmetic bags or in bathroom closets: dark, warm places. HELLO ... BACTERIA! Ew. Now reuse that sponge tomorrow? No. A new sponge everyday? Just go buy a foundation brush and clean it regularly with baby shampoo, face wash for sensitive skin, or a brush cleaner.

3. Base does not need to go all over.
To an extent this is true. If you have a few problem areas that need true coverage you can use a thicker product to conceal your little flaws. However, if you dabbed makeup on your under-eye circles, on pimples, and a red spot or two only, you'd look like a "connect-the-dots". You can use a tinted moisturizer, or a BB cream, or a light-coverage foundation overall after concealing the problem areas. You don't need to mask a nice, even face, but you do need to blend if you're going to wear makeup.

4. Powder, or mineral makeup, is okay.
This is the one I agree with. In fact, when it says that there's an "official green light" for powder makeup, I was kind of surprised. I was unaware that there was a "no-no" on powder. Powders can set and finish your look, absorb oil, or suffice for your actual makeup. Mineral makeup can be great too as another option. 1 for 4, Good Housekeeping.

5. "There's no need to fuss about your undereye concealer shade."
What the *expletive* are you talking about, Good Housekeeping? So if I'm through & through snow white, Irish complected I can just pick up my good Italian, olive-skinned friend's concealer and just throw that on? HELL NO! They do mention you don't want raccoon eyes by going too light or too dark, which is true, but shade does matter. If you're concealing under-eye circles, bruises, anything bluish gray, peach/pink will counteract that. However, if you're concealing redness whether it be facial redness or a blemish, yellows and greens would counteract that. Before you even consider the correct shade, you need to decide what you're concealing and find the right undertones: cool or warm, pinks or yellows.

I appreciate the effort, Good Housekeeping, and your magazine has many helpful insights. Leave the makeup to the experts, please, for all of our eyes and our mirrors!

No comments:

Post a Comment